Thank you for your interest in employment at Lake Washington Girls Middle School. LWGMS offers competitive compensation and an attractive benefits package in a stimulating and dynamic academic community.
Lake Washington Girls Middle School invites your interest in the position/s posted below. Please review the position descriptions for application procedure information.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
Part-time .1 FTE September through June
Lake Washington Girls Middle School, located in Seattle’s Central District, is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Part-Time Middle School Fitness Instructor for the academic school year. This class meets twice per week, Wednesday and Friday from 2:20–3:30p.
Position responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Generating one-term fitness curriculum in collaboration with the Program Director and Dean of Teaching and Learning, with clear goals and assessments.
- Planning and teaching fitness lessons for a balanced program of instruction and demonstration.
- Adapting teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students at varying ability levels.
- Providing students with understanding about how fitness can contribute to overall health in a positive manner.
- Observing and evaluating student performance and progress.
The ideal candidate:
- Has at least one year of fitness teaching experience in a school environment, fitness studio, or equivalent experience.
- Enjoys working with students in middle school and should demonstrate flexibility, cooperation, energy, enthusiasm, and an understanding of the developmental needs of middle school age students. Experience teaching middle school students is preferred but not required.
- Has strong classroom management skills.
- Is punctual. Punctuality is critical; the candidate must be able to arrive at work on time and stay for the entire teaching period.
- Must be certified in CPR and First Aid. (LWGMS offers CPR training in late August.)
- Must successfully pass background checks.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “PE Instructor” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.
Lake Washington Girls Middle School seeks a Communications/Development Intern, a position open to college students and young professionals looking to get experience in the world of nonprofit communications and development. You will will work closely with the Communications Director as well as with the rest of the Advancement Team to help implement a creative and dynamic marketing strategy for LWGMS, help with donor database management, and supply general support for the Office of Institutional Advancement.
This position reports to the Directors of Institutional Advancement and Communications and is an up-to-20-hour per week position, starting in Spring 2017 (or sooner, if preferred) with a flexible end date. This position is unpaid, but college credit can be obtained upon request.
- Produce and manage weekly newsletter as well as other communication through MailChimp
- Assist with photo and video management and organization
- Under the direction of the Communications Team, gather weekly social media content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Assist staff with organization’s website, including updating content and overall branding of website
- Assist with social media outreach during events when/if possible
- Track and update constituent information in Little Green Light, the LWGMS donor database
- Process and track tax receipts and acknowledgement letters
- Coordinate donor and appeal mailings, alumnae communications, etc., with the Director of Institutional Advancement
- Coordinate matching gifts forms and paperwork
- Help coordinate individual giving campaign logistics, including the Annual Giving Campaign, GiveBig, and Gala
- Work with Director of Institutional Advancement and Head of School to ensure that appropriate follow up occurs with donors, volunteers, alumnae, and those solicited, such as letters of intent, thank you notes, phone calls, cards, and host gifts
- Maintain the Advancement Office’s inventory of supplies
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms and trends (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Must be willing to learn how to use new software, such as email management platform, MailChimp; donor management system, Little Green Light; and website management platform, Squarespace.
- Computer literacy with a working knowledge of Google Apps
- Familiarity with Adobe Suite a plus - Illustrator and Photoshop
- Familiarity with photography and video a plus
- Attention to detail and discretion required
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills required
- Reliable transportation required
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Communications/Development Intern” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.
ABOUT LAKE WASHINGTON GIRLS MIDDLE SCHOOL
Lake Washington Girls Middle School serves approximately 110 students in grades six through eight. Founded in 1998, the school is housed in a historic building in central Seattle, just a few minutes from the downtown core to the west, from Lake Washington to the east, and one block from the vibrant Capitol Hill neighborhood. The school has an innovative and holistic approach to educating adolescent girls—fostering academic excellence, creative confidence, positive risk-taking, and the development of individual talents. Academic core curriculum is enriched by a focus on performance and public speaking, an integrated arts program, a STEAM curriculum, and an outdoor education program. Social-emotional learning is essential and inherent in all that we do. Faculty and staff collaborate in developing, planning, and implementing programs, and our values of “Respect and Responsibility” infuse the school’s culture.
SCHOOL AT A GLANCE
- Located in Seattle’s Central District
- Founded in 1998 - the first all-girls secular middle school in the Pacific Northwest
- 110 students in grades 6-8
- Standard class size is 16-18 students
- Office Hours: 8:00a - 4:00p
- Approximately 20 Faculty/Staff, plus specialists and guest instructors
- 54% of students are people of color
- 35% of faculty/staff are people of color
- Annual budget of approximately $2M
- 30% of students receive tuition assistance
- Seven interscholastic sports with a 90% participation rate
- Ten student-led clubs and after-school classes
- Summer programs for girls in grades 4-11
- Member of NAIS, NCGS, NWAIS, and WFIS
Lake Washington Girls Middle School is an equal opportunity employer and complies with applicable state and federal fair employment practices and laws. Lake Washington Girls Middle School does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national or ethnic origin, sexual identity, gender identity, family composition, or any other characteristic protected under applicable state and federal laws in administration of its hiring or employment policies.