Lake Washington Girls Middle School empowers girls to be strong in mind, body, and voice.
LWGMS holds up the opportunity of a world in which girls are nurtured and empowered to reach their academic, social, and emotional potential. To that end, the school provides a supportive single-gender learning environment where students, teachers, staff, families, and our surrounding community are active partners in inspiring leadership, social responsibility, and self-confidence in girls.
The following principles reflect our identity, underlie our success, and guide our evolution as a vibrant and maturing institution...
A sense of belonging where every individual is known, every girl's voice is valued, and students actively participate in a small, close-knit community.
Tuition rates within reach of middle class families and financial aid offerings that alleviate financial barriers to admission.
Guided by intellectual curiosity, every girl can succeed and have the opportunity to fulfill her academic, social, and emotional potential.
Families are a critical part of a student’s educational success and essential partners in the school’s mission and community.
A passion for social justice, political participation, and service to our community.
An understanding, grounded in research, that girls are more likely to reach their academic potential in an all-girl environment that fosters self-confidence, promotes speaking up, and encourages social cohesiveness.
At LWGMS, we believe
- All students can learn.
- All students benefit from high expectations. Material should be relevant to students’ lives.
- Students should have a say in what and how they learn.
- Students should understand their own learning styles.
- Families and the community are valuable assets to the curriculum.
- We all can learn from each other.
- Social and emotional learning should be part of a middle school education.
- Effective collaboration and communication are necessary skills.
- A diverse school community is essential to learning.
- A girls-only learning environment during the middle school years allows girls to develop their intellects and individuality.